Saturday, August 29, 2009

Monkey see, monkey do.

Thanks to my mom, I'm very fortunate that I know how to knit, crochet, sew, needlepoint and basically take a look at something and figure out how to make it myself. After having gone to that Adler Grier trunk show and dropping a couple hundred bucks on a necklace, I am determined to make my own. It's basically a crocheted bead rope. I've never crocheted beads or crocheted a rope before, but the internet has proven to be my #1 teacher. Between youtube videos and various beading websites, I think I can do it. I bought the supplies which was surprisingly not cheap either. Based on my necklace, it takes approximately 250 beads to make one and I chose gold filled beads. The cost for the beads alone came to $67. I also had to buy a crochet hook, thread, and a gold magnetic clasp. If it turns out well, I plan on giving it to my mom for Christmas.

One thing about being crafty sometimes is that you tend to start a bunch of projects and never finish them. I've got about 4 or 5 abandoned knitting projects, one huge crocheted afghan project that is only 1/3 completed, needlepointed belts that are 95% complete, and the list goes on. I think my most successful hobby has been quilting. I made a baby quilt, a twin size quilt, and a couple of quilt tote bags. A new quilt project for my bed has been simmering in the back of my mind as of late. The color palate will be tones of grey and light aqua. I just can't commit to buying all the stuff just yet. The second thing about crafting is the stockpiling of yarn, fabrics, ribbon, and whatever else seems to come in handy "some day". Unless you have a designated craft room, all these supplies end up as random piles in various corners of your home.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted as to how the crochet bead necklace turns out...

0 comments:

Post a Comment