Monday, August 31, 2009

TV watchers anonymous

Having grown up as an only child with both parents who worked full time, the television was my best friend. I started watching at a pretty early age. First came Sesame Street and Captain Kangaroo. Then Mr. Rogers and Electric Company. I also enjoyed the Lawrence Welk Show, Archie Bunker and The Jeffersons. Once I started to go to school, I would turn on the TV as soon as I got home around 3pm and it would be on until about 9pm at night. On the weekends, I could watch as soon as I woke up and, if we didn't have to leave the house, it would be on until I fell asleep and night. I was able to watch pretty much whatever I wanted. I remember watching 3's Company, ALF, Small Wonder, Mr. Belvedere, Moonlighting, The Love Boat, Fantasy Island... I think I watched pretty much every single popular show in the 80's. One thing that really confused me was why one character on Growing Pains name was "Boner". I don't think that would fly on today's shows.

Not much has changed over the last 10 years. Being a homebody really helps in the ability to watch so many shows. HGTV is a real staple for shows. TLC and A&E are second runners up. A&E has those train wreck type shows that you just can't look away from - ie Intervention, Hoarders, Obsession etc... There is just so much good reality-ish TV out there that I really haven't been watching very many regular shows. I think the one show I never miss is Grey's Anatomy. I used to watch The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, and America's Next Top Model religiously, but I got burnt out on those shows. It was too much of an emotional commitment, only to be let down a couple months later because "things just didn't work out". Big surprise.

For a while, my favorite shows were American Chopper, Miami Ink, and Dirty Jobs, but those have lost their appeal too. I still watch LA Ink, but only if I remember. One show I never watched when it was on prime time was Malcolm in the Middle. It's on a couple of times during the day. That is a genius show. Hilarious. The father, Hal, in that show is just killer. The best was when Lois found out she was pregnant with their 5th kid and Hal goes out to the car to cry like a baby. Another great episode is when Hal shows off his roller skating skills. King of the Hill is another show that I really love to watch.

TV has been such a big part of my life and has taken up a larger portion of my brain than anything I learned in school. Now that I have a kid, I wonder if I'll let her become an addict. My sister in law doesn't allow her kids to watch TV at all, mainly because of the commercials. They watch tons of videos instead. I guess I'll play it by ear...

0 comments:

Post a Comment